These low sugar applesauce spice muffins are tender and flavourful with the taste of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
This was my go-to muffin recipe for a long time. Anytime I wanted some comfort food in the form of a baked treat that was a bit sweet and spicy, I would whip up a batch of these.
Yield: 12 small muffins
Mildly Sweet Recipe
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, applesauce and vanilla until blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until blended. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into muffin cups and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
For a sweeter muffin, whisk 1/4 cup sugar in with the eggs, butter, unsweetened applesauce and vanilla in step 3.
If you would like to experiment with other sweeteners, see About Sweeteners for more information and nutrition facts on honey, maple syrup, stevia and other sweeteners.
Most of the recipes on Sweet Smart are adapted from my favourite cookbooks and websites. The Sweeter Option usually calls for about 1/4 to 1/2 of the sugar used in the original recipe.
Adapted from: Applesauce Spice Muffins from epicurious.com.