There is lots of tangy lemon flavour in these light, fluffy, low sugar lemon yogurt muffins.
These little lemon muffins and super light and fluffy. The intense lemony taste comes from using both the juice and zest of the lemon.
Yield: 12 small muffins
Mildly Sweet Recipe
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Grated zest and juice of one lemon
1 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, yogurt, applesauce, eggs, melted butter and vanilla until all ingredients are blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to wire rack.
For a sweeter lemon muffin, replace the 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce in the Mildly Sweet recipe above with 1/4 cup sugar. Whisk the sugar in with the lemon juice, yogurt, eggs, melted butter and vanilla in step 3. Omit the unsweetened applesauce.
If you would like to experiment with other sweeteners, see About Sweeteners for more information and nutrition facts on honey, maple syrup, stevia and other sweeteners.
Most of the recipes on Sweet Smart are adapted from my favourite cookbooks and websites. The Sweeter Option usually calls for about 1/4 to 1/2 of the sugar used in the original recipe.
Adapted from: Lemon-Yogurt Muffins from Bake (Australian Womens Weekly H/B).