This low sugar chocolate banana bundt cake is made with cocoa powder and bananas for a moist, sweet cake.
The first time I tried this cake I was amazed at how good it was! You really can't tell that it's made with whole grain flour, and the bananas give it enough sweetness that you won't miss the added sugar. This cake is a real treat.
Yield: 1 bundt cake
Mildly Sweet Recipe
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. 3 medium bananas should yield about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas.
- In the bowl with the bananas, add the eggs, warm water, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Whisk together until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely.
For a sweeter cake, add 1/2 cup of sugar to the Mildly Sweet recipe above. Whisk the sugar in with the bananas, eggs, warm water, vegetable oil and vanilla in step 4.
If you would like to experiment with other sweeteners, see About Sweeteners for more information and nutrition facts on honey, maple syrup, stevia and other sweeteners.
Most of the recipes on Sweet Smart are adapted from my favourite cookbooks and websites. The Sweeter Option usually calls for about 1/4 to 1/2 of the sugar used in the original recipe.
Adapted from: Chocolate Banana Cake from joyofbaking.com.